« Back to Site Carpenter (Level 2 Standard)
Job holders in this unit group perform a variety of general labouring and construction duties to assist building, civil engineering and related trades workers in the performance of their tasks.
- Conveys blocks, bricks, stone, mortar, roofing, felt, slates, wood and other building materials to the work area
- Assists with the erection of ladders, scaffolding and work platforms, the rigging of cradles of hoisting equipment and the attaching of slings, hooks and guide ropes
- Mixes mortar, grouting material, cement screed, and plaster, prepares adhesive, primer and paints and similar construction material, and undertakes basic decorating, painting, plumbing and other maintenance and repair tasks
- Cleans equipment and tools, clears work area and otherwise assists building and woodworking trades workers as directed
- Performs general labouring tasks such as digging trenches and foundations, removing wall coverings, and preparing surfaces by cleaning, sanding, filling, etc.
- Covers ceilings, floors, walls and exposed surfaces of boilers, pipes and plant with insulating material
- Heats and breaks up blocks of asphalt, bitumen or tar, stirs melting mixture, adds aggregate if required, pours mixture into buckets
- Measures and fixes timber and other structures to support excavations, cables or other rail, signal and telecommunications equipment
- Excavates, constructs and maintains land drainage systems and prepares graves for burial
- Operates, cleans and lubricates valves and sluices, removes weeds, dead animals and other debris from waterways and carries out minor repairs to banks and footbridges
- Helps diver into and out of diving suit, maintains communication with submerged diver and checks equipment and time spent under water.
No academic qualifications are required. Training is typically provided on-the-job. NVQs/SVQs in a variety of construction and craft occupations are available at Levels 1, 2 and 3.