Minutes of Search and Governance Committee - 03 December 2018
|Group||Minutes of the Search Governance Committee|
|Location||ROOM a.14, LONDON ROAD CAMPUS, SHREWSBURY|
|Date||3rd December 18|
|Minutes Membership||A. Allen, G. Channon (Chair of the Board – Ex-Officio), R. Heath, J. Staniforth (Principal/Chief Executive) and M. Willmot.|
|In Attendance||Clerk to the Board, T. Cottee|
30/18. Declarations of Interest
A. Allen declared a standing interest as an employee of Harper Adams University.
R. Heath declared a standing interest as an employee of Harper Adams University.
31/18. Committee Vacancies and Succession Planning (Appendices – Agenda Item 3)
Governor Vacancy Opportunity – Interview with Prospective Candidates
The Committee interviewed candidates invited to attend the Committee meeting for an Independent Governor Vacancy.
The Committee acknowledged that whilst there was currently one Independent Governor Vacancy on the Board, it was likely that there would be further vacancies in 2019 (see S&G Min No 32/18).
Both candidates had taken up the opportunity to speak with the Clerk informally and meet the Principal/CEO, to discuss the Board’s requirements and the expected role and responsibilities prior to interview.
Having conducted the informal assessments and checks, the Committee interviewed the prospective candidates formally, based on assessment of a submitted CV, completed skills audit and application form (previously circulated) for each candidate.
The Committee, having conducted the interviews, referred to the Board Governor Person Specification the current Board Skills Audit (previously circulated). Having considered the skills of each candidate, the Committee made the following recommendations -
Resolved: It was RECOMMENDED TO BOARD that –
- K. Butler be appointed to the Independent Governor Vacancy with effect from 10 December 2018, for a Term of four years and be appointed to the current vacancy on the Quality, Standards & Curriculum Committee;
- R. Wilson be appointed as a co-opted Finance & Business Operations Committee with effect from 10 December 2018, with a view to offering an appointment to the next available and suitable Independent Governor Vacancy when that arises.
Committee Vacancies and Succession Planning- Update (Appendix – Agenda item 3b)
The Committee reviewed the current position regarding current Governor Terms, vacancies and opportunities (previously circulated).
- Search activity had increased, to plan for 2019. The Board Chair confirmed that he would discuss with governors whose terms were coming to an end from mid-year 2019 and report back to the next meeting;
- Two further expressions of interest in governor opportunities have been received following a presentation made on the College at a recent Chamber event. Application forms had been sent out and the Clerk had followed-up for a response.
Since the last Committee Meeting
- The Student Governor (16 – 18 cohort) had been appointed to the Board; her Induction had commenced;
- G. Channon had been re-appointed as an Independent Governor for a Four Year Term commencing 01 April 2019;
- The Board had approved the committee structure and membership for 2018 – 2019 (Board Min No. 50/18 refers);
- The Academic Staff Governor (London Road Campus) had recently resigned. The Clerk had posted a Notice of Vacancy; however, no nominations had been received. The post remained vacant to date. The Committee AGREED that the Notice of Vacancy be re-issued and that interested applicants be invited to contact the Committee Chair for further information;
- The Clerk had received a valid nomination for the HE Student Governor Vacancy. This nomination would be recommended to Board at its meeting on 10 December 2018;
- Currently, there were 3 members of the Audit Committee – the Committee’s terms stated that the membership should be 4 independent governors. Additionally, the Committee had a co-opted member vacancy. The Clerk reported that an expression of interest for the co-opted committee vacancy had been received and, based on an initial informal assessment, the candidate could be invited for interview at the next meeting;
- The Board Chair reported back to the Committee on the outcomes of discussions held with governors whose terms were ending by mid-year 2019;
- The Term of the Parent Governor (London Road Campus) would end in March 2019.
Having given careful consideration to the verbal report of the Board Chair and having due consideration to the Board’s skills audit and succession strategy, the Committee made the following recommendations –
Resolved: It was RECOMMENDED TO BOARD that:
- Mitch Neale be appointed as Student Governor (HE) for a Term to be determined by the Board, with effect from 10 December 2018; and
- Robert Rosson’s Term of Office be extended to 30 September 2018, to include the extension of his position as Vice-Chair of the Board;
- David Pulford be appointed as a co-opted Finance & Business Operations Committee for a Term of two years, with effect from 16 March 2019;
- The Term of the Parent Governor (London Road Campus), M. Thompson be extended to 09 July 2018.
The Committee also
Resolved: That –
- The Notice of Vacancy for the Academic Staff Governor (London Road Campus) be re-issued and that interested applicants be invited to contact the Committee Chair via the Clerk, for further information on the role;
- The candidate for the Audit Committee co-opted member be invited to attend the next Committee meeting for interview.
32/18. Date of Next Scheduled Meeting – At the request of the Committee Chair, the scheduled date of 09 February 2019 at 5.30 p.m. be rescheduled.
The meeting concluded at 8.00 p.m.