Shrewsbury Colleges Group

Shropshire Council provides help with transport to college if all the following apply:

  • You are aged under 19
  • You currently live in Shropshire
  • The College is the designated post-16 provider/college for where you live and
  • You live three or more miles away from college.

If you meet the above criteria, a contribution of £875 per academic year (or three termly instalments of £295), towards the cost of transport, is payable unless you are on defined benefits (e.g. families on Income Based Job Seekers Allowance, Income Support, Free School meals or Child Tax Credits where the current income is less than £16,190) in which case a contribution of £280 per academic year is charged. Prices are based on 19/20 and may be subject to change.

You can choose to pay termly or annually. The travel pass will be issued once the contribution has been paid and can be collected from Student Services.

To apply for Post-16 Transport Assistance through Shropshire Council

  • Complete an application form, available from Student Services or the Council
  • Online at
  • Over the phone by calling 0345 678 9006.

In some cases, it may be better value to purchase season tickets directly from your local transport operator, rather than contributing via the Council’s post-16 Contribution Scheme. We would therefore recommend that before making a payment to the Council’s post-16 contribution scheme, you check that this is the most cost-effective method of purchasing season tickets.

You can contact Student Services for prices if you are unsure.

What happens if the Council declines my application? 

  • You can apply to the College’s 16-19 Bursary Fund for a contribution to your transport costs if your gross household income is below £26,000. Please enquire at Student Services for more information. Application forms for the Bursary Fund are available on the Student Finance webpage and from Student Services
  • You can apply to Arriva Bus Midlands, Transport for Wales Rail Services or your local transport provider for a Student Season Ticket.

If you are only applying for a council travel pass you will need to contact your own council area. If you reside in Telford & Wrekin or Powys, you will need to contact their Transport Department if you think you are eligible for Transport Assistance.