The roles and responsibilities of the Shrewsbury Colleges Group Board (or Governing Body) are many and varied. But the main roles and responsibilities (as determined by the Instruments and Articles) are summed up as follows:
- The determination and periodic review of the educational character and mission of the institution and for the oversight of its activities
- approving the quality strategy of the institution
- the effective and efficient use of resources, the solvency of the institution and the Board and for safeguarding their assets
- approving annual estimates of income and expenditure
- the appointment, grading, suspension, dismissal and determination of the pay and conditions of service of the holders of senior posts and the Clerk including, where the Clerk is, or is to be appointed as, a member of staff, the Clerk’s appointment, grading, suspension, dismissal and determination of pay in the capacity of a member of staff
- setting a framework for the pay and conditions of service of all other staff.
Other areas that are considered by the Board include:
- Monitoring and evaluating the College's activities and services
- strategic planning of long term issues as well as the short and medium term
- involvement in the recruitment of other staff as well as senior post holders and the Clerk
- promoting the College (where appropriate)
- assessing the effectiveness of the Board (self-assessment)
- ensuring compliance with legislation and policies adopted by the Board.
Shrewsbury Colleges Group
London Road Campus
Become a Governor
If you would like to know more about the work of the Board and are interested in becoming a governor, please contact the Clerk for more information or complete the enclosed and send to the Clerk at the address above.
Governor Vacancy - Parent Governor
The Corporation currently has a vacancy for a Parent Governor and is inviting applications from anyone wishing to make a contribution to our Board. Parent governors use their experiences as the parent/guardian of a student at the College when the Board makes decisions. This unique perspective enables the Board to ensure that the students are at the heart of the decision making process.
If you are the parent or guardian of a child studying at the London Road Campus and are interested in joining the Governing Body and would like to know more, please contact the Clerk for more information or complete the application forms set out below and send to the Clerk at the address above.
Please read the information and guidance notes in full so that you are aware of the level of commitment expected from you.
Student engagement is vital to the work of the Governing Body when it comes to improving the quality of teaching and learning and the student experience, and indeed wider governance issues in relation to the College. It is the day-to-day practice, people and resources that enable students to be effective and fully involved in relation to the College’s decision making processes.
Student Governors are a vital part of the College’s Leaner Voice. They work closely with the Student Council, to ensure the Board is made aware of issues affecting students, and that student experience is an integral part of all the Corporation’s decision-making. Find out more on the role of a Student Governor.