SCG has an active Sustainability Group, made up of both students and staff, who review the operation of the College's Sustainability Policy to suggest, where practical, opportunities for further improvement. The Group is open to anybody at the College and warmly welcomes new people and ideas.
Recent initiatives include:
- Our support of the Shrewsbury Cups – a ‘Cup for Life’
- Special pen and crisp packet recycling bins
- Water fountains upgrade to remove single use plastic cups
- A review of vending machines to reduce energy use
- Replacing marketing materials with environmentally-friendly alternatives
- Reduction of single use plastics
- Delivery of 420 saplings from the Woodland Trust, to plant a double hedge on the London Road Campus (November 2019)
We are also continually looking for ways to improve the efficiency of our buildings. This includes:
- Energy efficient lighting at the London Road Campus
- The roll-out of further energy efficient lighting at English and Welsh Bridge Campuses
- Regular reviews of opportunities to reduce heat-loss, water consumption and to improve recycling
- Developing waste reduction schemes
These steps may seem small, but our ambition is not. We are committed to working together as a College community to secure a better future for all our current and future students.