SCG has an active Sustainability Group, made up of both students and staff, who review the operation of the College's Sustainability Policy to suggest, where practical, opportunities for further improvement. The Group is open to anybody at the College and warmly welcomes new people and ideas.
Recent initiatives include:
- Our support for the Shrewsbury Cups – a ‘Cup for Life’
- Pen and crisp packet recycling bins
- Removal of single-use plastics where possible
- A review of vending machines to reduce energy use
- Replacing marketing materials with environmentally-friendly alternatives
- Planting of a double hedge with 420 saplings on the London Road Campus (November 2019)
We are also continually looking for ways to improve the efficiency of our buildings. This includes:
- Energy-efficient lighting at the London Road Campus
- Ongoing assessment of energy-efficient lighting opportunities at our English and Welsh Bridge Campuses
- Regular reviews of opportunities to reduce heat-loss, water consumption and to improve recycling
These steps may seem small, but our ambition is not. We are committed to working together as a College community to secure a better future for all our current and future students.
We summarise our activities and goals in an annual sustainability report which can be found below. This also provides Streamlined Energy and Carbon Reporting (SECR).