SCG has an active Sustainability Group, made up of both students and staff, who review the operation of the college's Sustainability Policy to suggest, where practical, opportunities for further improvement. The Group is open to anybody at the college and warmly welcomes new people and ideas.
Some of our initiatives include:
- Our support for the Shrewsbury Cups – a ‘Cup for Life’
- Pen and crisp packet recycling bins
- Replaced single-use plastics in college canteens with compostable alternatives, combined with incentives to use non-disposable alternatives
- A review of vending machines to reduce energy use
- Replacing marketing materials with environmentally-friendly alternatives
- Installation of a 200kwp Solar Panel system comprising 721 panels at the London Road Campus
- Installed energy-efficient LED lighting across London Road Campus
- Upgraded 180 windows with modern double-glazed units at London Road Campus to improve thermal efficiency
- Installed Voltage Reduction equipment at all three campuses to reduce carbon emissions.
We are committed to working together as a college community to secure a better future for our current and future students. We are continually looking for ways to improve the efficiency of our buildings, such as reducing heat loss, water consumption and improving recycling. We summarise our activities and goals in an annual sustainability report which can be found below. This also provides Streamlined Energy and Carbon Reporting (SECR).