Textiles A Level
|Mode of study||Academic A Level|
|Campus||English Bridge Campus|
|Start date||5 September 2022|
|Course code||TEX-AL (2224)|
A minimum of five GCSEs at grade 4 or above, including English Language and an Art & Design subject. Those who have not studied a GCSE Art & Design subject must demonstrate their skills, interests and abilities through a small portfolio ideally including a variety of media and observational drawing.
What does the course involve?
A Level Textiles is a specialist subject offered by SCG which is taught by dedicated A Level specific teachers with access to an excellent range of equipment, facilities, and resources. If you have an interest in colour, pattern, shape, texture and enjoy the process of making, then this course will provide an excellent basis from which you can explore and develop your enjoyment of textiles through art, craft, and design.
You’ll learn how to develop creative ideas and how to explore these through textile techniques and processes. You’ll have the opportunity to showcase your work at the End of Year Show.
You will expand your knowledge by learning new textile techniques which will be used to explore and develop personal outcomes for a variety of set projects. This may manifest as garments, fashion, costume design, digital textiles, printed textiles, woven or knitted pieces, interior design, work made for animation and illustration and fine art outcomes.
This year will be used to enhance drawing development and encourage personal research creating confidence in independent, experimental, and creative pursuits. You will be pushed to be curious, experimental and to research a wide range of textile artists and designers to help you develop a mature approach to your own work.
A personal investigation using an in-depth study of a specific area will lead to a final piece. This component will include a written piece consisting of 1000-3000 words. The final element of this course is to respond to an exam board question where there are 10 weeks to prepare and then a 15-hour final outcome produced in exam conditions.
How is the course assessed?
Personal investigation (Component 1) is 60% of the overall A Level grade. The remaining 40% will be derived from the Externally Set Assignment (Component 2), given in February with a period of research to develop ideas, followed by a 15 hour exam to produce a finished textile outcome.
Some students use their grade in textiles to apply to a wide range of unrelated courses whilst other students who want to pursue a career within an aspect of the textile industry may apply to courses such as textile design, fashion design, surface pattern design, applied crafts, fashion promotion and marketing, costume design fashion journalism and interior design.
Some students choose to study an Art Foundation course before applying to an Arts degree course.
You will have the opportunity to attend “Create Your Future” a UCAS Art and Design Convention in Manchester, to find out about all creative courses in the UK. There are also other activities such as an annual trip to New York and the Drapers Textile Competition.
What do I do next?
You can apply online via the APPLY NOW button and then add an additional two or three subjects to make up your academic programme. You can also apply for a second, alternative vocational programme of study via a separate application. If after reading this factsheet, you are still undecided about the course most suitable for you, please drop in to one of our Open Evenings, ring Admissions on 01743 260401 or email email@example.com
A Level Textiles (English Literature, Geography)
Previous school: Bridgnorth Endowed School
My family are designers and I wanted to follow a similar pathway, but Textiles A Level was not offered at my local College, so I came to SCG. The facilities here are amazing and they have allowed me to develop my interior and printing skills. Studying Textiles has been a really fun way for me to explore what I enjoy - you can choose to work in so many different ways. Screen-printing is my favourite and I have been able to create stencils like a professional. I will be going to university next year to study Textile Surface Pattern.
Are you an employer?
See how an apprentice can help your business.