This industry offers a wealth of opportunities in salons and spas, as stylists for TV, film, theatre and advertising agencies, or even setting up your own business. Our full-time and part-time courses ranging from Levels 1-3 cover hairdressing, barbering, make-up, nail treatments, beauty therapy and massage therapies.
Training takes place in our professional-standard hair and beauty training salons at London Road Campus. In-house competitions are judged by influential, local employers and students also enter national competitions such as the Blackpool National Hairdressing competition and WorldSkills, where they have achieved gold awards.
Hair, Beauty & Therapy Courses
- Level 1 Diploma Intro to the Hair and Beauty Sector
- Level 2 Diploma in Beauty Therapy
- Level 2 Diploma in Men's & Women's Hairdressing
- Level 2 Diploma in Nails and Make-up
- Level 3 C&G Certificate in Hairdressing
- Level 3 Diploma in Hairdressing
- Level 3 Diploma in Make-Up Techniques
- VTCT Diploma in Beauty Therapy Treatments Level 3
- Beauty Refresher Course
- Introduction to Massage
- Level 2 C&G Award in Cutting Men s Hair (3002-92)
- Level 2 C&G Diploma in Womens and Mens Hairdressing
- Level 2 VTCT Certificate in Nail Technology (Artificial Nails)
- Level 2 VTCT Certificate in Nail Treatments (Manicure & Pedicure)
- Level 2 VTCT Diploma in Beauty Specialist Techniques
- Level 3 C&G Award in Cutting Mens Hair
- Level 3 C&G Diploma in Women s Hairdressing
- Level 3 VTCT Certificate in Swedish Massage
- Level 3 VTCT Diploma in Massage Therapies
- VTCT Award in Facial Massage and Skincare
- VTCT Remove Hair Using Waxing Techniques
Level 3 Hairdressing
Previous school: Newtown High School
I’ve grown more confident since the Level 2 course which helps me use my creativity to learn more adventurous hairstyles. I’ve learned a variety of advanced skills, including perming and colour correction. I live in Wales, but the college was recommended to me and I enjoy the modern college environment.
Level 1 Hairdressing
Previous school: Grove School
I chose to study hairdressing because I like to meet new people. When I had my first client I was nervous, but after the experience it was good and it feels normal now. I want to apply for Level 2, then Level 3 and after I want to open my own salon.
Level 3 in Beauty Make-up Techniques
Previous school: North Shropshire College
I joined Level 3 in Beauty Make-up Techniques as an external student previously studying health and social care, in the hopes that I would be able to go on to peruse a degree in makeup. Fast forward eight months and that’s exactly what I’m about to do! I have been offered a place at the University of Salford to carry on my education studying makeup for fashion, in my favourite city! None of this would have been possible without the help of Becky and the other wonderful tutors who have guided us all through the past year. I can genuinely say that I have thoroughly enjoyed every part of this course.
Level 2 Award in Cutting Men’s Hair
I was a plumber and wanted a career change. My friend who runs a barber’s inspired me to join the part-time Cutting Men’s Hair course at Shrewsbury Colleges Group. The teachers and facilities were great and learning in the evening meant I could carry on with my day job. Four months after completing the course I had opened The Fade Inn, my own Barber’s in Shrewsbury.
Level 3 Diploma Massage Therapies
Previous school: Ysgol Dinas Bran, Llangollen
I completed the Level 2 Beauty Therapy course and progressed onto the Level 3 Massage course. I am now loving using the skills I have learnt whilst working at the prestigious Lion Quays Spa carrying out an extensive range of Beauty treatments.
Level 2 VTCT Diploma in Beauty Specialist Techniques
I joined the course to build upon my qualification as a salon manager. As a qualified hairdresser, I found it easy dealing with issues regarding hair services but struggled due to my limited knowledge of beauty to effectively manage the beauty team.
On the course, my confidence grew with each passing week and all the areas we covered were relevant to our industry services. The college has also offered extra courses to top up my skills and knowledge further. The one day a week schedule fitted in easily with my work schedule and childcare.
Are you an employer?
See how an apprentice can help your business.