Would you like a career in Health & Social Care?
Not sure where to start or who to ask?
The Marches Education Trust are offering a two-week course at Shrewsbury Colleges Group's London Road Campus, where you will learn valuable knowledge and skills which will allow you to apply for a range of positions within the health and social care sector. You will study 12 modules on topics such as First Aid, Infection Control, Safeguarding and Communication Skills and receive certificates for each module that is completed.
If you are a thoughtful and caring person with good literacy and numeracy skills, our courses will prepare you for a wide range of careers including nursing, social work and working with children in a variety of settings.
The health and social care sector is the third biggest employer in Shropshire and one of the few areas in today's economic climate with a growing number of vacancies. Our Level 2 and Level 3 qualifications will allow you to explore a wide range of health and social care issues needed to work in the industry.
From the Level 3 qualification, you can progress to higher education, including our own Foundation Degree in Health and Social Care. Work experience is an important part of our courses, with opportunities for you to gain an insight into a variety of employment settings including hospitals, care homes and schools.
Health & Social Care Courses
- Academic Cambridge Technicals
- T Levels
- Distance Learning
- Level 2 NCFE CACHE Cert in Understanding the Safe Handling of Medication in Health & Social Care
- Level 2 NCFE CACHE Certificate in Awareness of Mental Health Problems
- Level 2 NCFE CACHE Certificate in Common Health Conditions
- Level 2 NCFE CACHE Certificate in Falls Prevention
- Level 2 NCFE CACHE Certificate in Principles of Care Planning
- Level 2 NCFE CACHE Certificate in Principles of Prevention and Control of Infection
- Level 2 NCFE CACHE Certificate in the Principles of Dementia Care
- Level 2 NCFE CACHE Certificate in the Principles of End of Life Care
- Level 2 NCFE CACHE Certificate in Understanding Children and Young Peoples Mental Health
- Level 2 NCFE CACHE Certificate in Understanding Dignity & Safeguarding in Adult Health & Social Care
- Level 2 NCFE CACHE Certificate in Understanding Mental Health First Aid/ Advocacy in the Work Place
- Level 2 NCFE CACHE Certificate in Understanding Nutrition and Health
- Level 2 NCFE CACHE Certificate in Understanding Personal Care Needs
- Level 2 NCFE CACHE Certificate in Understanding the Care and Management of Diabetes
Foundation Degree in Health & Social Care
I chose to study a Foundation degree in Health at Shrewsbury Colleges Group as I could study alongside my job at the time (in social work). I found the course manageable and worked hard to fit the work around my job/life. My tutors were super supportive as I was an adult learner returning to studying for the first time since school and things have moved on a bit since that time! I used the FD as a stepping stone to progress into a full degree in Health Studies at university and the skills learned enabled me to attain a first in my degree. I am now the co-owner of a business related to the health sector and have a great work/ life balance. I would recommend the course to potential students, young and old as I am not an academic person but was prepared to put the work in and it paid off for me.
Level 3 Extended Diploma in Health & Social Care
Previous school: William Brookes School
When I was younger I spent a lot of time in hospital and the wonderful staff inspired me to pursue a career as a midwife. The teachers always answer your queries and help you manage your time. Last year I got a distinction for Level 2 and was eager to come back this year. The partnership between SCG and the NHS offers an amazing opportunity. I have started as a Health Care Assistant at Royal Shrewsbury Hospital.
Level 3 Diploma in Health & Social Care
Previous school: Shrewsbury Academy
I really enjoyed my placement at The Column Nursery. The staff there were very friendly and approachable. This placement has allowed me to develop my skills with younger children, which I think will help me whilst working towards my future career. I definitely recommend working with The Column Nursery.
Are you an employer?
See how an apprentice can help your business.