Applied Science (Extended Certificate)
|Mode of study||Academic Cambridge Technicals|
|Campus||Welsh Bridge Campus|
|Start date||September 2021|
|Course code||CTS-CX (2123)|
Who is it for?
Are you looking for a career in the science sector and enjoy the practical aspect of science? This course will equip you with the skills to pursue a career in a scientific field or go onto further study. This two-year course is often taken with Health and Social Care for students who wish to pursue careers in the health sector. We have specialised teachers and laboratory facilities which means that you can study in the right environment and have expert guidance to progress your studies.
A minimum of five GCSEs at grade 4 or above, including English Language and Maths and grade 4 or above in at least 2 single Sciences or grade 4:4 in Combined Science.
What does the course involve?
You need to be well organised and able to work to deadlines. Over the two years, you will study the following units:
- Science Fundamentals - this unit creates a solid foundation for all the other units you will cover
- Laboratory techniques - this includes lots of the skills required by technicians working in any kind of scientific laboratory, including working for an industrial company, the NHS, contract analysis of environmental samples and working in science education
- Control of hazards in the laboratory - In this unit, we cover an overview of the most common hazards encountered in typical research labs
- Microbiology - You will develop a range of practical manipulative skills that enable you to work safely in a microbiology laboratory
- Product Testing Techniques - This includes looking at how consumer products are rigorously tested and regulated both before being allowed to be sold and after-sale.
How is the course assessed?
Year 1 units are externally assessed. This will involve written exams that include case studies related to the science sector. There will be resit opportunities for each exam.
Year 2 units are all internally assessed through assignments.
We regularly arrange for guest speakers to attend College to supplement your learning. We also attend seminars and guest lectures at Higher Educational establishments to further your knowledge in this subject area.
Progression in Applied Science (CTECH Extended Certificate)
You can progress to higher education or other professional development programmes. Some may wish to enter a specialist area of employment in the science industry or within organisations that use science e.g. quality control technician/analyst, a medical physics technician, research lab work, forensic science service, chemical industry or scientific journalism.
What do I do next?
You can apply online via the APPLY NOW button and then add an additional 2 or 3 subjects to make up your academic programme. You can also apply for a second, alternative programme of study on the application page. If after reading this factsheet, you are still undecided about the course most suitable for you, please drop in to one of our Open Evenings, ring Admissions on 01743 260401 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org