Students aged 16-18

The College can assist with essential course-related costs, meals and travel costs. This is a means-tested bursary that is based on your age and your household income. If you are under the age of 19 when you start college and your household income is under £28,000*, you may qualify for financial support. 

*This figure doesn't come into effect until the 2024-2025 bursary applications open.

Free College Meals

If you are eligible for a bursary, you will automatically receive free college meals.

See if you are eligible 

Bursary Flow Chart May 2021

To enquire about your eligibility for any bursaries please contact This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. or read our Student Bursary Policy 

Applications for the academic year 2024-25 will be open in March.

Help with your bursary application

If you would like help completing your bursary application, you can book an appointment with Student Services by clicking the link below.

Book an appointment

Steps to apply

  1. Click on this link
  2. Input your username (this is the email address that we have sent this email to)
  3. Request to change your password
  4. You will receive an email allowing you to change your password (please check junk folders)
  5. Once your account has been updated, you have to re-log in here.
  6. On the account homepage, please click on the Apply Here for Bursary button and then follow the instructions

Please note: to ensure your application is processed and you are notified of the decision before the start of term, you need to submit the form by Friday 26 July 2024. If you prefer to complete a paper copy of the application form please contact Student Services at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. 

Application for Financial Assistance

Other financial help available

Students aged 19+

Students aged 19+ studying their first Level 1, 2 or 3 may be able to get financial assistance with essential course-related costs, meals and travel dependent on the household income being less than £21,000. This does not include help with childcare costs and usually doesn't cover course fees.

Students Living in Wales

Students who are between 16-18 years of age may be entitled to Educational Maintenance Allowance (EMA). If you are 19 or over, you may be able to apply for a Welsh Government Learning Grant (WGLG). You will need to apply directly to Student Finance Wales.

Care to Learn

The Care to Learn scheme can help students aged under 20 with childcare costs. Visit www.gov.uk/care-to-learn for more information.

Information on fees

To find out if you are required to pay any fees, please visit our fees page.

Your studies will probably prove more affordable than you think.

The Student Services Department will walk you through every step of financing your studies and make applying an easy process. Students of all ages will be able to access information on things such as course costs, transport costs, childcare and free meals.

Advanced Learner Loans

Advanced Learner Loans for ‘Further Education’ Students aged 19+ on Level 3-4 Courses

If you are aged 19-23 and already hold the equivalent of a Level 3 qualification (which includes 4 AS Levels or 2 A Levels) you will be required to pay the full cost of the course and would be able to apply for the Advanced Learner Loan. If you are 24+ you will be required to pay the full cost of the course and would be able to apply for the Advanced Learner Loan.

This Advanced Learner Loan funding is easy to apply for, it offers a low rate of interest, it does not take your household income into account, it does not involve a credit check and you only start to pay back your loan when you complete your course and start earning over £27,295.

Furthermore, if you receive an Advanced Learner Loan to cover tuition fees for the Access to Higher Education Diploma and then go on to complete a Higher Education course, the government will write off your loan for the Access Course.

Please see the Advanced Learner Loans guide to terms and conditions for more information.

A student who is studying at level 3 or above may apply to the Advanced Learner Loan Bursary Fund. This bursary can assist with travel and childcare costs. (Students must be aged 20+ for help with Childcare costs.)

Higher Education Student Loans

For Higher Education university-level courses including HNC and HND, you may be eligible for student funding. 

For further information please visit the financial help for HE page on this website.


Although we do not have residential accommodation on campus we do have access to accommodation in the centre of Shrewsbury which is owned and managed by Shropshire Council. If you would like any further information about the accommodation on offer, please contact our Admissions Team on 01743 342346.