SCG Update 8.00pm Wednesday 18 March
Gavin Williamson, the Secretary of State for Education, announced earlier this evening a range of measures in relation to schools and colleges as part of the government response to the Coronavirus.
As a consequence, Shrewsbury Colleges Group:
- will be partially closed from the end of the day on Friday 20 March
- will remain open for vulnerable students only, including through the Easter holiday
- will put into practice our plans to remotely support students
- GCSE and A Level exams will not take place this summer
- The government will take steps to ensure students can progress to the next stage of education, be it at college or at university, and that the steps will be fair. Further details have not yet been announced
- No statement has been made regarding the completion of vocational qualifications
I appreciate that there are lots of unanswered questions following today’s announcement. I also know how hard our students have worked on their courses and that these changes may leave them anxious and frustrated. Through our membership of the Association of Colleges and the Sixth Form College Association, we continue to push for solutions to the exceptional circumstances in which we find ourselves which are fair to all of our valued students.
Principal and Chief Executive