Ahead of the end of term, the college would like to wish you Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Ahead of the end of term, the college would like to wish you Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year as well as to let you know about a few items.
Here are the key dates for your diary:
- College finishes for the Christmas break at 12pm on Friday 16 December 2022 – college buses will run from 12.30pm
- Teaching begins again on Wednesday 4 January 2023 – timetables will run as normal
Communications over the festive break
If there are updates or changes in arrangements for students for the return to college in January, then we will communicate to students via the MySCG app – please look out for updates.
Information will also be sent out in the following ways:
- College’s social media channels, please search for Shrews Col Group
- College’s website: www.scg.ac.uk
- Parent information page on the website
Staying safe and healthy over the break
The college website has some excellent resources available to you to help you stay safe and healthy over the break. This year we are adding an additional source of support for students in the form of the Student Assistance Programme (SAP), provided by Health Assured.
Student Assistance Programme (SAP), provided by Health Assured
You will have access to a 24/7 helpline staffed by BACP-accredited counsellors to help you with any concerns and this does include linking you up to local safeguarding and emergency services where immediate action is needed to keep yourself or a friend safe. All you need to do is call 0800 0283766 to access this service.
Emotional health and wellbeing booklet
We’ve prepared a booklet that you can access via the college website which has some great tips, recipes, and games to help your mental wellbeing over the Christmas break. Access the booklet here.
Staying safe if you’re going out over Christmas
This article has some great guidance on how to stay safe if you are planning to go out over the Christmas break.
We want you and your friends to enjoy Christmas and the New Year. We hope this information will help keep you all safe.
Here is some general advice for when you go out:
- Tell people where you are going, when you will arrive and when you will be coming back.
- Let people know when you have arrived.
- Stay with your friends and people you can trust.
- Watch out for your friends to make sure they are safe.
Warm Welcome locations
There are a number of ‘warm welcome’ locations being run by Shropshire Council as well as Telford & Wrekin councils over the Christmas break. Details of the locations are here:
We have published some key exam information for students who are studying A Levels and some vocational courses and will be sitting exams as well as mock exams in January.
A Level and CTEC students
Yr 2 A Level and Yr1 & Yr2 CTEC students have been emailed with the details of the plans for exams in January. Please make sure that you have read these instructions closely and speak to your tutors if you have any queries.
External exams in January:
- Year 1 CTEC The Business Environment: Mon 9 Jan - 1pm
- Year 2 CTEC Working in Business: Wed 11 Jan - 9am
- CTEC Health, safety and security in health and social care Exam: Wed 11 Jan – 9am
- CTEC Anatomy and physiology for health and social care Exam: Mon 16 Jan – 9am
- CTEC Science fundamentals Exam: Tues 10 Jan – 1pm
- CTEC Laboratory techniques Exam: Thurs 12 Jan – 9am
The following courses have exams in January. Instructions and guidance will be sent to these students directly with further details of the exam arrangements.
- Level 2 Motor Vehicle – Thursday 12 and Friday 13 January
- Level 3 Business
- Year 1 resits only (NOT all students) – Marketing Campaign - Thursday 12 January 9.30am
- Year 1 resits only (NOT all students) – Finance - Tuesday 17 January 9.30am
- Year 2 - Business Decision Making - Thursday 19 January 9.30am
- Level 2 Principles of Marketing - Friday 13 January 1.30pm
- Level 3 IT
- Year 2 – IT Service Delivery - Wednesday 18 January 1.30pm, Thursday 19 January 9.30am and Friday 20 January 9.30am
- Year 2 – Cyber Security - Tuesday 24 January 1.30pm, Thursday 26 January 1.30pm, Friday 27 January 9.30am and 1.30pm
- Year 1 – Information Technology Systems Monday 23 January 9.30am
- BTEC Level 3 - Extended Diploma Construction and the Built Environment unit 1 - Tuesday 17 January 2023 (AM)
The college has published some advice and guidance in response to national reports of the increased risk of Scarlet Fever infection. This disease mostly affects young children, but we are asking all students, staff, and visitors to be aware of the current national situation and to take the appropriate precautions detailed here.
Finally, I’d like to congratulate you on your hard work and efforts during this term. I hope you enjoy your break with friends and family and that you return to college refreshed for the new year.
With best wishes,
Principal & CEO
Shrewsbury Colleges Group