Gain the necessary skills to ensure that you are job-ready and equipped to become a skilled engineer able to gain employment, both locally and worldwide, in fields ranging from deep-sea welding to advanced robotics.
You can start your career with us by combining A Levels in Electronics and Maths in an academic programme with an engineering bias, choosing from a range of vocational courses or start an apprenticeship with an engineering company. Those wishing to enhance their careers can choose from a range of HNCs in Manufacturing, Mechanical or Electrical Engineering.
We also offer a range of part-time welding and fabrication courses and bespoke training to meet individual company needs.
In 2017 we secured nearly £500,000 from the Marches Local Enterprise Partnership via its Growth Deal with Government to develop one of three advanced manufacturing training hubs in the region. The College continues to seek further opportunities with the LEP.
- Academic A-Level
- T Levels
- Engineering Manufacturing Technician (Level 4 Standard)
- Engineering Operative (Level 2 Standard)
- Engineering Technician (Level 3 Standard)
- General Welder – Arc Processes (Level 2 Standard)
- Machining Technician (Level 3 Standard)
- Metal Fabricator (Level 3 Standard)
- Safety, Health and Environment Technician (Level 3 Standard)
- Higher Education
- HNC in Electrical And Electronic Engineering (Full-time)
- HNC in Electrical & Electronic Engineering (Part-time)
- HNC in General Engineering (Full-time)
- HNC in General Engineering (Part-time)
- HNC in Manufacturing Engineering (Full-time)
- HNC in Manufacturing Engineering (Part-time)
- HNC in Mechanical Engineering (Full-time)
- HNC in Mechanical Engineering (Part-time)
- HND in Electrical And Electronic Engineering (Full-time)
- HND in General Engineering (Full-time)
- HND in Manufacturing Engineering (Full-time)
- HND in Mechanical Engineering (Full-time)
- Abrasive Wheels Awareness
- Advanced skills in 2D CAD with AUTOCAD
- Introduction to 2D CAD with AutoCAD
- Introduction to 3D CAD with Solidworks
- Introduction to CNC Programming
- Introduction to Machining Metal
- Introduction to Welding and Fabrication
- Level 1 C&G Award in Introductory MIG Welding (3268-13)
- Level 2 C&G Award in Welding Skills (3268)
- Level 3 BTEC Diploma in Electrical/Electronic Engineering
- Level 3 BTEC Diploma in Manufacturing Engineering
- Level 3 BTEC Foundation Award in Engineering Electrical/Electronics (HNC Bridging)
- Level 3 BTEC Foundation Award in Manufacturing Engineering (HNC Bridging)
A Level Product Design (Media Studies and Music)
Previous school: Belvidere School
I took Product Design at A Level because I was inspired by my GCSE teacher. I really enjoy how hands on the subject is and using the computers to bring your designs to life. You can explore your creative side in a relaxed environment.
Level 3 in Engineering
Previous school: Holy Trinity School, Telford
Level 2 was mostly practical and this year on Level 3 there is a lot of theory and it's preparing me for university. I live outside of Shrewsbury and the transport links to the College are good.
Engineering Apprentice at Ricoh
I studied Product Design at A Level and really enjoyed it. Taking on an Engineering Apprenticeship seemed like the natural progression from that, and I’ve appreciated every minute of it. It is great working for Ricoh and being able to study at SCG, as I get so many opportunities, such as taking part in WorldSkills.
Level 2 Fabrication and Welding
Previous school: Charlton School
I’m a practical person, so I wanted to do something with my hands. I didn’t have any experience before, but the teachers were really good at guiding me through. I’m a bit of a perfectionist, so the fact that the staff let me work to my own pace really helped. I have now secured an Apprenticeship with Caterpillar in Shrewsbury, and I can see myself being there for some time. I’m sure it wouldn’t have happened unless I’d been on this course as at my interview they seemed really impressed with what I was doing.
Are you an employer?
See how an apprentice can help your business.