Carpenters & Joiners
Carpenters and joiners construct, erect, install and repair wooden structures and fittings used in internal and external frameworks and cut, shape, fit and assemble wood to make templates, jigs, scale models and scenic equipment for theatres.
- Examines drawings and specifications to determine job requirements
- Selects and measures appropriate wood and cuts, shapes and drills to specification using saws, planes, chisels and other power or hand tools
- Aligns and fixes prepared wood pieces by screwing, nailing, gluing and dowelling to form frames, shop fronts, counter units, decking, theatrical sets, furniture, small wooden craft, scale models and wooden templates
- Checks accuracy of work with square, rule and spirit level
- Maintains and repairs woodwork and fittings.
There are no formal academic entry requirements, though GCSEs/S grades are advantageous. Entry is typically through an apprenticeship or traineeship approved by ConstructionSkills leading to an NVQ/SVQ in General Construction at Level 3.
What could I earn?
Salaries for this occupation tend to start at £28,000 per annum and can progress up to £33,000 per annum.
Is it in growth or decline?
There are currently 24,791 employed Carpenters & Joiners in the region.
/ Spa Decorators Limited / 6 Jun 2023
/ Service Care Solutions / 6 Jun 2023
/ Coyle Personnel / 6 Jun 2023