Hairdressers & Barbers
Hairdressers and barbers shampoo, cut, colour, style and treat hair.
- Discusses customer requirements, analyses hair condition and other relevant features to define and advise on hair style
- Washes, conditions, bleaches, tints or dyes hair and provides any necessary basic scalp treatments
- Cuts and trims hair using scissors, clippers, razor and comb
- Combs, brushes, blow-dries or sets wet hair in rollers to style or straighten
- Shaves and trims beards and moustaches
- Collects payment, arranges appointments and cleans and tidies salon
- Maintains client records and keeps up-to-date with new products, styles and techniques
- Ensures hair products are stored and used appropriately and observes relevant health and safety factors
- Demonstrates, sells and recommends hair care products to clients and advises them on hair care.
There are no minimum academic requirements for entry, although some colleges require candidates to possess GCSEs/S grades. Training is provided off- and on-the-job and lasts up to three years leading to the awarding of NVQs/SVQs at Levels 1, 2 and 3. Apprenticeships leading to an NVQ/SVQ at Level 3 are also available.
What could I earn?
Salaries for this occupation tend to start at £17,000 per annum and can progress up to £28,000 per annum.
Is it in growth or decline?
There are currently 20,060 employed Hairdressers & Barbers in the region.